Friday, August 16, 2013

Pythagorean Theorem...in Use, not Theory

My History with Pythagoras

When I was in grade school, I remember learning about the Pythagorean Theorem, how great it was, and of course, like all other math formulas, how much I would be using it in real life.  At that age, I cared about as much about the hypotenuse of a triangle as I cared about the documentaries my dad watched on TV.  UNINTERESTED.

Now I find myself feeling old because I do use it all of the time.  I’m in the real world now.  I’m not doing derivatives all day, I even had a hard time spelling derivative for this blog.  But, I do find myself using that dang Pythagorean Theorem on a regular basis.

It’s not like the story problems that we had where you had to find the height of a building or a tree, but its there, plain as day, in front of my face.  Almost every day, I use it in my daily job, and at home.
This became painfully obvious when I was visiting a customer of mine for a field test on a machine.  I design and sell mechanical and hydraulic systems for heavy machinery for construction, mining and military applications.  A lot of these machines are very large and heavy.

A Quick Reality Check Courtesy of the Pythagorean Theorem

We were doing a grade test.  Not as in “ABCDF”, but as in grade of slope.  Apparently the customer wanted to be sure their machine could climb up a hill, or on to a trailer.  We had to fill out forms with all of the data for the test and of course, I was using the Pythagorean Theorem to figure out some of the lengths of the test field.  I used others, but I really cringed when I thought of my teacher telling us how useful this was going to be, and here I was.

Maybe that example was pretty specific to my work, but not applicable to “everyday” usage of the theorem.  It just stuck out in my mind because only a few days before that, I was using the same math when I was working on the roof and I was trying to calculate how many rows of shingles I would need to roof my shed.  

I’m sure there are other examples, but I think I’ve made my point.

Pythagorean Theorem Calculator

If you want to learn more about using the Pythagorean Theorem, you can practice with this Pythagorean Theorem Calculator.

No comments:

Post a Comment